January 29, 2016
Trendy Kale Salad"
The holidays can be heavy, but they don’t have to be! Lately, I have been killing the kale salad game. Here are a few of my favorite simple and colorful kale salad recipes. I hope you enjoy and Happy Holidays!!
- 1-2lbs Mixed kale (purple and green) stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 Fuyu persimmons, which happen to be my absolute favorite at the moment – peeled and then thinly sliced
- One handfull of fresh mint and basil – I love adding fresh herbs to the salad
- Toasted pecans 1/2 cup
For the dressing:
- Two lemons juiced – about 1/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard – I use the Mielle
- 1 teaspoon honey – orange blossom
- 1 small garlic clove grated – microplane
- 1/2 cup olive oil
To make the dressing – whisk the lemon juice, mustard, honey and garlic together in a bowl. Add tellicherry pepper to taste then slowly whisk in the 1/2 cup olive oil at a steady pace – this can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for a few days.
In a large bowl like the one above combine the kale and dressing and let the kale sit for a solid 30 minutes – this helps to break down the bitterness of the kale and really lets the dressing shine. Once you have let the kale marinate in your delicious homemade dressing add the fresh mint, basil, persimmon and pecans. Lastly, decorate your bowl with the edible flowers and you have a show stopper of a meal! Feel free to add grilled chicken or quinoa to create a heartier meal.
Get creative! I use the same basic dressing but change up the ingredients – sunflower seeds, quinoa, pomegranate seeds and persimmon is a great combo too!
You eat with your eyes after all, make salad fun!